26.3.08

First Attempt At Skinning

My First Skin


As a first attempt to get the style going where I thought it should I started by simply tweaking the colors and images of the original Kubrick without changes to the core structure of the CSS layout. This is mostly so that when the next major release of WordPress comes out, within a month or 2, I could easily migrate over without too much hassle. That, and when the new version of WordPress arrives I could also switch seamlessly into the new K2 release of Kubrick. http://getk2.com/about/


K2



This new and much more advanced version of the default theme engine I based my current designs on can process a much more in terms of script capability, much of which is built in. Improvements in K2:

  • User-friendly.
  • Admin-friendly.
  • 100% open source.
  • Semantic XHTML, CSS and JS structure.
  • Supports custom CSS files.
  • Smart layout adapts to needs.
  • Fully configureable from options page.
  • Upload and manage custom headers.
  • Sidebar Modules comes bundled (with special K2 modules) and support WordPress Widgets.
  • Live comment posting.
  • Livesearch.
  • Rolling Archives.
  • Dozens of plugins supported out-of-the-box.
Ok, so I probably won't ever need any of that? True, but it's always nice to have there in case!


Back to my skin...

I went with very similar colors as to the original theme to begin with. Choosing the lighter blues and keeping it fairly simple. Using no images at this point, but leaving enough space that I might be able to incorporate some.
While the fonts and layout wasn't how I'd have entirely liked it at this stage, I felt this would be how I'd like the end product to end up layout wise.

The banner however needing much improvement immediately!

No comments: