29.1.07

At First Glance, The Island Game Project

A while since I've posted anything so I thought I'd write up a not so quick message detailing some of the work I've made thus far on my game design project.
I've been reading up on my game design, in particular a book called "Theory of Fun" by Raph Koster. A very valuable resource if your going to get anywhere in game design and yet I find myself ignoring some of it's most important points.
Firstly and foremost the game should challenge our skills and we should be able to improve through the game some very fundamental human abilities such as spatial awareness in first person shooters and our sense of planning and resource management in real time strategies. In order for a game to remain exciting it should constantly challenge these skills while still keeping the goals it set's forward obtainable. The game should be not so easy that we get bored and not to difficult that we might get frustrated and abandon it.
I searched for a game that sums these ideals up. I came across "missile 3d". This is a game based on a concept that I'm sure most of us are familiar. Guide yourself (the cursor, whatever) through a the levels while avoiding certain obstacles. Give this game a go, it's addictive because it's both challenging a skill we put to use everyday ( orientation, spatial awareness and concentration) while remaining rewarding enough for us to replay.

Missile 3D - See if you can beat my score, 89% through level 6.


Now I mentioned my game would be different, it shall be in a sense. The reward of the game won't be obtaining physical objectives such as FPS and RTS games but instead it shall play like a book. You interact with the world in order to read a story. Some objectives may well be introduced in order to keep the user reading the story in the correct order and I may even create some multiple directions in the outcome.
I'd like to think I'm exploring a new approach to reading a book but this idea is far from new. I'm just mixing a few different methods together in order to create an idea that has in many forms been done before. For me however this is very new, and I'd be interested to see where I take it through the course of it's production.

No comments: