12.11.07

Rationale - Pick and Choose iD

I have decided upon the Marvel web comics advert banners for my project. Initially I'd like, instead of exploring flashy imagery and funky animations, to explore clever action script and new approaches in delivering tasters of the comics through the advert banners. Being restricted to 100k file sizes to keep load times to a minimum I thought I'd use a sort of "fetch more data on user request" system to enable viewers to spot the banner containing a taster comic cell and then allow them to interact with the advert to get the banner to fetch another cell to be viewed. In theory the user could view the entire comic (should I let them) through this banner, but of course it would be much easier if they just clicked the "take me to the full comic" button and the Marvel web comic website loaded instead. This would enable me to more or less dodge the 100k file size restriction due to the fact that the user is requesting the increased data and the load time of the banner and thus the entire page would still be kept to a minimum. Of course this may not be possible in full throughout the different banner types, but it is certainly something I'll experiment with when attempting the pop-up ad. All in all I'd like to portray to the viewer that the web comic experience is easily accessible, interactive and above all it's just as entertaining as reading a physical comic.

No comments: